- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 ribs celery from the heart, with leafy greens, chopped
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds thick cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
In a Dutch oven or a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and lemon peel; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and the tomatoes with their juice; bring to a simmer. Add the cod in a single layer, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Gently stir in the shrimp; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the cod and shrimp are just opaque throughout, about 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice; discard the bay leaf.
To serve, mound potatoes in shallow bowl and ladle stoup around.