Crisp Coconut Graham Shrimp
• 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
• 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
• 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1⁄2 cup seltzer or club soda
• 1 large egg
• vegetable oil for deep-frying
• 1 1⁄2 pounds raw shrimp (medium to extra large), peeled and split down the back
In a food processor, grind together the coconut and graham cracker crumbs. Transfer to a shallow dish.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, seltzer, and egg until just smooth.
In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 360°F (use a deep-fat thermometer). Working with 4 to 6 shrimp at a time, dip each in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Then dredge in the coconut/graham mixture. After the shrimp are coated, drop them into the oil and fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Cut into the first shrimp to make sure it is cooked through. Drain the shrimp on brown paper and keep warm, uncovered, in a warm oven. Continue frying the remaining shrimp, letting the oil return to 360°F between batches.
Serves 6 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course
Thanks to Leslie Glover Pendleton for this recipePrint Recipe