• 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
• 1⁄2 cup water
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 1 1⁄4 to 1 1⁄2 pound tuna steak, trimmed of any dark flesh
• 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1⁄2 cup olive oil
• 1⁄2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
• 1⁄4 cup minced scallions
• 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons chopped pale green celery leaves
• 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
In a deep medium skillet, bring the wine and water to a boil. Add the salt, pepper, and tuna and poach it, covered, at a bare simmer, for about 10 minutes, or until just cooked through.
Transfer the tuna to a plate and boil the poaching liquid until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Transfer the liquid to a large bowl and whisk in the vinegar and oil, whisking until emulsified. Add the remaining ingredients and combine well.
Separate the tuna, along the grain, into large strips and add to the bowl. Stir gently and serve at room temperature.
NOTE: The salad can be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and refrigerated .
Thanks to Leslie Glover Pendleton for this recipe