Delicious & Hearty Seafood Stew Recipe for Cold Weather
On chilly days, a steamy bowl of seafood stew with a side of crunchy bread hits the spot! Our favorite Italian seafood stew recipe has a savory broth filled with tender chunks of tomatoes and fish. You can make the recipe your own by adding your favorite vegetables or shellfish. Unlike other wintery comfort foods, like chili or lasagna, seafood stew doesn’t take long to prepare and cook. This delicious and hearty seafood recipe is easy to follow. From start to finish, this meal takes just 30 minutes.
Best Base for Seafood Stew
If you want to make a seafood stew like this one, adapted from Simply Recipes, your friends and family will rave about; you need more than fish stock or chicken broth for the base. The secret ingredient for the best seafood broth is clam juice.
Best Fish for Seafood Stew
Firm white fish, like cod or halibut, are ideal picks for seafood stew. These fish aren’t too oily or too delicate. You can substitute tilapia or red snapper as well. Avoid using tuna, trout, salmon, or sole.
If you want to add shellfish, add shrimp, scallops, clams, or crawfish. You can toss them into the pot when you add the fish.
Vegetable Pairings for Seafood Stew
If you love to eat a stew that’s full of vegetables, consider adding bell peppers, bok choy, celery, kale, spinach, summer squash, or zucchini to this recipe. If you want your stew to be heartier, toss in diced potatoes or white beans. Keep in mind that you may need to add extra broth for potatoes to absorb.
Hearty Seafood Stew Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. firm white fish fillets, cut into 1” squares
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 c. seafood stock or chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice (or 1 additional cup of seafood stock)
- 1/2 c. dry white wine (such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 2/3 c. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion once the oil is hot. Sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté until golden around the edges.
- Stir in the oregano, thyme, and parsley. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cans of tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the dry white wine, clam juice, and white fish. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the white fish flakes when speared with a fork.
If you are looking for an easy and delicious meal for cool weather, try this hearty seafood stew recipe! You can find the freshest white fish and shellfish on the east coast at City Fish Market! Stop by our seafood market in Wethersfield, CT, to pick up restaurant-quality ingredients for your winter meals!