Cod Au Gratin
- 2 pounds fresh cod fillets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/3cup shredded parmesan
- 3/4 tsp summer savory (dill or tarragon make good substitutions)
- 1 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup cracker crumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Scald the milk in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes until just under the boiling point.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add the butter and flour and cook together for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the scalded milk whisking constantly.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest, Dijon mustard, savory and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the Parmesan cheese just before pouring onto the fish (in next step).
- Arrange the fish in the bottom of a greased 13×9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes. Pour the sauce over the fish. Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Mix the cracker crumbs with the olive oil and sprinkle over the cheese. (You can add a little extra savory to the crumbs if you like, about ½ tsp). Bake for 25-35 minutes at 350 degrees F until bubbling and the top has evenly browned. Individual gratin dishes should take about 15 -20 minutes, just check the center to see that the fish has fully cooked.
- If you like the top more browned, turn the broiler on for a minute or so at the end.