Curried Shrimp with Sweet Onions
• 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), sliced (about 2 cups)
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice or raspberry vinegar
• 1⁄4 cup water
• 2 pounds raw medium shrimp, peeled
• freshly ground black pepper
• 3 cups cooked rice or lettuce leaves as an accompaniment
• chopped basil and / or coriander
In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onion in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until tender but still slightly crisp. Stir in the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, water, and shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot over rice or chilled on a bed of lettuce. Both can be sprinkled with the herbs.
Thanks to Leslie Glover Pendleton for this recipePrint Recipe