Shrimp and Artichoke Fettuccine Alfredo
• 12 ounces dried fettucine
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oiI
• 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts (7 or 8 small hearts), drained and quartered
• 1 pound small to medium shrimp, peeled and halved lengthwise
• 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half (see Note)
• 2 large eggs
• 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• freshly ground black pepper
• minced fresh parsley (optional)
In a large kettle of boiling salted water cook the Fettucini until tender.
While the pasta is cooking, cook the garlic in the oil in a large deep skillet over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shrimp are almost cooked through.
Whisk together the half-and-half and eggs. Drain the fettucine, but do not rinse.Add the hot pasta to the skillet and pour the egg mixture on top. Stir and toss the pasta over low heat until the sauce thickens. (Do not overheat or the sauce could curdle). Stir in the Parmesan and salt and pepper and serve immediately. Garnish with the parsley if desired.
NOTE: Skim or low-fat milk can be substituted for the half-and-half, but be even more careful not to boil the sauce, because lower-fat milk will curdle more quickly.
Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as an appetizer
Thanks to Leslie Glover Pendleton for this recipePrint Recipe