Shrimp Rice Bowls are Healthy & Delicious Family Favorites
Are you looking for a simple, healthful lunch or dinner recipe? If you are, you can’t go wrong with a shrimp rice bowl! This easy-to-make meal is a seafood family favorite for many New Englanders. Shrimp rice bowl recipes are filling and delicious with a combination of lean protein, whole grains, and vegetables tossed in spices or topped with a savory sauce.
You can find dozens of different shrimp rice bowl recipes because the options for this meal are nearly endless. You can prepare the shrimp however you like—boiled, grilled, or sauteed—and serve it over rice or riced cauliflower with your choice of vegetables and seasonings. A shrimp cauliflower rice bowl is a great low-carb meal if you eat keto or participate in Whole 30.
Here are two shrimp bowl recipes we recommend.
Essential Shrimp Bowl
Recipe inspired by The Wooden Skillet.
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 c. finely chopped kale
- 1 avocado, diced
- 24 jumbo shrimp, deveined and shelled
- 2–3 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil
- 1–2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2-4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- chopped cilantro, optional
- Use a paper towel to pat the shrimp dry. Then lightly dust with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high.
- Add the ghee or olive oil to the pan and swirl until the bottom is evenly coated with oil.
- Place the shrimp in the pan, one at a time, with about a ¼ inch between each. Let the shrimp brown on one side and then turn each shrimp over. Once both sides are browned, and the shrimp is opaque, remove it from the pan.
- In four bowls, place an even serving of rice, shrimp, kale, and avocado. Then drizzle with soy sauce and top with cilantro.
You can easily adapt this recipe to make a shrimp rice bowl with your favorite vegetables and sauce. We recommend trying it with grilled spicy shrimp, cilantro shrimp with peanut sauce, or lemon shrimp.
Blackened Shrimp Bowl
Recipe adapted from Delish.com.
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- 1 c. corn
- ½ c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. shrimp with the tails removed, peeled, and deveined
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- In a small dish, mix together the dry seasonings: cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the dry seasoning mix on both sides of the shrimp.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high. As it heats up, add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the shrimp one piece at a time with space in between each piece.
- Flip the shrimp once the bottom side is charred. Remove the shrimp from the pan when both sides are charred, and the shrimp is opaque.
- Cover the shrimp and set it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine bell pepper, corn, grape tomatoes, and cilantro. Drizzle the lime juice and olive oil on top. Gently toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Between four bowls, divide the rice, shrimp, avocado slices, and corn mixture. Toss with cilantro and serve for all to enjoy!
We hope you enjoy these shrimp rice bowl recipes as much as we do! You can find a large selection of fresh shrimp for your next meal at City Fish Market. We look forward to seeing you at our seafood counter!