Stir-Fried Shrimp and Broccoli
• 1 pound broccoli
• 1 cup canned chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger root
• 1 small onion
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oiI
• 1 1⁄2 pounds raw small to large shrimp, peeled
• freshly ground black pepper
• 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
Cut the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces, peel the stems, and cut them into thick slices. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a measuring cup, stir together the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, and ginger.
Halve the onion lengthwise and slice it thinly lengthwise.
In a wok or large heavy skillet, heat the oil over high heat until very hot. Add the shrimp and onion and stir-fry for 1 minute or until the shrimp just turn pink. Stir the sauce mixture and add it to the skillet.
Simmer 2 minutes, stirring; add the broccoli. Cook until the broccoli is heated through. Season with salt and pepper, and serve over the rice.
Thanks to Leslie Glover Pendleton for this recipePrint Recipe